10 Things to Look for in an Armored Vehicle
So here are 10 things you need look for when you’re planning to have your vehicle converted to an armored car. These apply whether you’re armoring a Toyota Camry, a Bentley Mulsanne or a Range Rover.
- Run-flat devices fitted in all tires, including the spare. Attackers typically try to shoot out the tires and make the car immobile but with run-flat wheel inserts, the wheels keep spinning even if the tires themselves are flat.
- Steel-case fuel tank protection. If your gas tank is hit, you’re not getting away. Fuel is leaking and there’s a great chance of an explosion.
- Vehicle battery and engine control module armor protection armor protection. The parts and pieces under the hood are critical to keeping the vehicle running and if they are damaged, it’s going to make a getaway tough.
- Reinforced door hinges, designed for extended longevity and easy maintenance.
- Reinforced door pillars and posts.
- Suspension components are reinforced as necessary to compensate for additional weight of the vehicle. Outfitting a vehicle with ballistics steel adds about 3,000 pounds to the car so it’s important the vehicle’s suspension be able to carry that extra weight without buckling under the strain.
- The glass areas of each Streit armored vehicle are retrofitted with transparent armor: curved, OEM style or standard flat bullet-resistant glass panels.
- Overlapping door seams don’t leave any spaces for a bullet to get through and into the vehicle.
- Your armored vehicle should be indistinguishable from other cars on the road or in the school or store parking lot. You don’t want to draw attention to your vehicle and make people wonder why you need an armored car.
- Quality assurance. At Streit USA, the cars go through a rigorously monitored assembly process to ensure only the highest quality vehicles are released to the customers.
At Streit USA, we work closely with our customers to determine the features that will best fit their needs and that often means customizing a vehicle to add a video recording system or night vision system. Our No. 1 goal is customer safety and we’re not willing to cut corners when lives are on the line. If you can’t check off this list of 10 must-haves and the company isn’t listening to your unique needs, it’s time to look elsewhere.